Helpful Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Programmable Thermostat
Installing a programmable thermostat can reduce your energy consumption and lower your utility bills. It can also help you gain better control over the climate within your home. Like any tool, the better you know how to use it, the better the results will be. To that end, the following tips can help you set and adjust your thermostat to your advantage.
Tips for Maximizing Your Programmable Thermostat
- Determine the model that best suits your needs. Choose between a 7-day, 5-1-1 day, 5-2 day, or 1-week model. First consider your lifestyle and select the thermostat that will most adequately meet your heating and cooling needs.
- Compartmentalize your settings into waking time, sleeping time, leaving time and returning time. This will ensure that the climate within your home is comfortable while you’re there, and that energy isn’t wasted maintaining the climate while you’re away.
- In the winter, set the waking temperature to 68 degrees and reduce this by between 10 and 15 degrees for your sleep and away settings.
- In the summer, set your thermostat to 78 degrees and remember to manually turn the air conditioner off on days when you don’t need air conditioning.
- Choose a WiFi enabled thermostat. This gives you greater control for those times when you’re on vacation or stuck at work. Having this connectivity makes it easier to adjust to changing weather conditions.
- Remember to schedule the temperature change to take effect between 20 and 30 minutes before you leave the home in the morning, and then again 20 to 30 minutes before you return. It’s also advisable to have it change 20 to 30 minutes before you wake, and 60 minutes before you turn in for the night.
- Service your home’s HVAC system. If it’s not operating properly, no amount of programming will benefit you.
For more information about making the most of your programmable thermostat, contact the pros at Balance Point Heating & Air Conditioning.