Ensure Optimal Home Safety This Year–And Every Year
Keeping your home safe requires year-round attention to potential hazards. Pay particular attention to the following areas of home safety.
- Handle flammable materials carefully, and make sure cans of solvents, paints, fuels and other materials are well sealed and kept away from flames and sparks.
- Avoid stockpiling items such as newspapers, old rags, cardboard and other papers that could help a fire spread in your home. Get into the habit of recycling these items.
- Keep flammable materials away from gas appliances, heaters and electrical equipment.
- Make sure any space heater you’re using is on a flat surface. If you’re buying a new heater, choose one that will automatically shut off if it tips over.
- Contact your trusted HVAC contractor for preventive maintenance on your HVAC system. Have any problems with your chimney, flues, ductwork or ventilation quickly repaired.
- Inspect your extension cords before using them. Look for damage and wear that would make the cords dangerous, such as cracking or fraying, loose prongs or loose plugs. Do not use a damaged cord.
- Do not run any electrical cord under a rug or carpet or over a heater, plumbing pipes or nails.
- Monitor your electrical appliances and equipment for signs of malfunction. Repair or replace anything that overheats, creates smoke or sparks, causes circuit breakers to trip consistently or otherwise appears to be unsafe to use.
- Keep harmful chemicals and liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, lighter fluid, cleaning solvents and paint thinners in safety-approved containers.
- Store chemicals and hazardous materials in a well-ventilated area.
- Do not use storage containers that are damaged or leaky.
Balance Point Heating & Air Conditioning provides professional HVAC sales, maintenance, and repair services to homeowners in Fort Collins and surrounding Colorado communities. Contact us for more information on keeping your home safe and your home-comfort systems running efficiently.